Sunday, April 22, 2018

Week 16


My reading as a child and now…

When I was young I read feverously, I have a feeling many of us who are spending good money to become librarians could say the same. For me, it was R.L. Stine’s Goosebump series, they engrossed me in slightly spooky worlds that entertained me and made me love the act of reading. I found that the interaction between the words on the page and the images conjured in my head were more vivid and lasting than any video game, movie, or television show I had experienced. I also learned that when I was at a store with my mother, she might be reluctant to buy me a toy, but I don’t believe she ever told me I couldn’t leave with a book. I distinctly remember that by the time I was in the 6th grade I had read and loved T.H. White’s The Once and Future King, I still love that book so much that I even used it as an example for something in this class. I’m not sure how much I understood of the subtext as a young reader, but I remember that the book program between my elementary school and Pizza Hut credited me enough point to get a whole personal pan peperoni pizza on that book alone! I can’t explain why I remember that, but as I grew older the love of books never left, as my ability to understand context and history grew so did my love of books. By my 3rd year of high school I knew I wanted words and books to be my life (at that time I wanted to be an English teacher), I took every class that was based on books. During my undergrad degree I majored in English with a minor in Classical studies, I was disillusioned on teaching by then, but I wanted to make my life around words. As most English students can probably relate to, I’ve forgotten how many books I’ve read and forgotten a lot of books I have read. As an adult, reading is still important to me, I find the same interaction with books now that I remember loving as a child. To answer the question shortly, I don’t think my reading habits have changed since I was a child, just my capacity to experience books deeper.

Reading in the Future

I think the largest change that awaits books specifically deals with corporate publishers. Looking at the rise of Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu and other like services used by ‘cable-cutters’, the decline of the music industry’s major record labels influence, and the culture of content creation on platforms like Youtube and Twitch, it seems books will enjoy a indie publisher boom very soon. I think all the things I just listed are a response to the digital era, but I think it shows that there is a culture of people who like to seek creative content that is not tainted by mass media influence. This is a personal and subjective feeling, and I’ll grant I haven’t watched a television show on a major network during its actual run-time in nearly 10 years. The internet has allowed self-publishing of all kinds of content to be easy and lucrative without as much necessary middle-men taking money away from your bottom line as a content producer. I don’t anticipate this changing the kinds of books that are written or read, but an increase in selection and availability of books. I also think libraries would be wise to find ways to promote and grow the indie publisher scene so they can be a part of my anticipated resurgence.  

6 comments:

  1. My parents were so the same way. Barbie had to be earned, but books were always a yes :) I think that people who love books are people who are willing to explore and try new kinds of books, whether it's a new genre or a new format, because we know that there is something magical and moving about the reading experience. For what it's worth, The Once and Future King is definitely one of the best books around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dustin,
    I like your analogy as a child between books and video games, great! My boys love their video games [my boys love their video games, but, actually, more readily and eagerly pick up a good read ( maybe because video games give one of my kiddos migraines and books don't ???). I agree, that book selection will increase and, thankfully, also include more youth books with an interactive nature to attract the readers that are especially fond of the digital age [digital choose your own adventure stories, etc.].

    My town library does not readily acquire self-published titles. I was in great need of Emma Rose Sparrow's books for dementia patients, but, had to buy them myself. I know other caregivers could use these titles and find it disappointing that a library would not acquire the books based only on the fact that they are self-published. I embrace the greater selection of reading material and hope that libraries expand to meet the public needs accordingly.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dustin! Were you a 90s kid, too? I very vividly remember the Pizza Hut Book It program, as well, and enjoyed participating in it. I'm happy they are still doing something similar to that today! It is interesting that you said the music industry is also in decline. I didn't know that! Your comment on Indie book publishers is an intriguing prediction. Let's hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dustin,

    I love your mention of Goosebumps, especially with how much more they meant to you than scary stories in other mediums! Awesome! I personally still feel a little freaked out by the cover of "Camp Cold Lake," because even two decades later, I can still see the creepy eyes clear as day in my head.

    Your positive analogy with indie booksellers to other media is one I hadn't thought of before. I definitely agree with you about people, especially a millenial crowd, wanting something that isn't "mainstream," for lack of a better word. People want unique experiences and that can include unique stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dustin! LOL, yep parents can't say no to you when your asking for a book. I know my mom was always happy to buy me one. You made me think of my poor sister with your Pizza Hut story. She read the most books in her age group at the library and would have won a bike, but we weren't there for her to claim the prize. She was so disappointed when she found out. The thing I'm worried about for the future of books is that authors are properly compensated for their work. The changes to the music industry certainly haven't been beneficial or most artists.

    ReplyDelete