Friday, April 6, 2018

Week 13 Repsonse


When considering this question I was reminded of the reading from Jennifer Burek Pierce, The Boderland Age and Borderline Books. In it she writes of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s morally prescriptive treatment of books, especially toward young adults. Pierce explains, “Among the themes of this plentiful professional literature was an interest in good books. Whereas reader’s advisory efforts for adults in this era focused on self-improvement as prescribed by cultural norms, librarians’ recommendations to adolescents directed teens’ attention toward wholesome literature that would compete with their enjoyment of such popular and affordable genres as the dime novel, with its allusions to sex and depictions of violence.” Honestly it seems that there is always a vocal population, no matter the time period, that wants to argue a book, movie, or video game’s worth based on a prescriptive moral basis. While I think the parenting choices of young adult’s parents should be respected, I don’t believe librarians should serve as arbiters on the moral judgment of a creative work.
Should libraries spend money on YA and NA books? If there is demand from the community then absolutely! Those unfamiliar with YA books may deem them less worthy when compared to Dickens, Shakespeare, and Austin, and in many ways I agree with that assessment, but it shouldn’t be a librarian’s job to force classic literature down their patrons’ throats. Is Twilight less of a work than the myriad of Danielle Steel books that is fly off the shelves? Probably not, or at least they both offer something that the reader wants and can enrich their lives. This should always be the primary concern- meeting the needs and wants of the community you serve. I know many adults that love YA books, in my undergrad English degree I took a class on YA books and found they can offer a similar level of depth and discussion to books that are in any other genre. Graphic novels follow the same line of thinking for me, though I have less experience with them. I think promoting great books of any genre, format or age level is an excellent way to let our patrons experience all that the library can offer.
To wrap it all up, I think that if our patrons want any thing whether YA or a graphic novel, we should be happy to provide a great collection for them!

5 comments:

  1. I liked what Pierce said at the end of their article. It was something along the lines of (and I am grossly paraphrasing) "If some of the 19th century moral strictures on "good books" seem silly to us now and were then even backed up by the best science of the time we should be doubly cautious on our own judgments about what is "good" for the reader now." Or as Ranganathan might say, "Every reader their book!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would so rather recommend the new Natalie Whipple or Kiersten White over Dickens. Not over Shakespeare, though. :) I think people are too ready to dismiss YA literature just because of the YA designation. But, man, there is some quality, life-changing stuff lumped under that genre. The struggle for many librarians, I think, is to know who to recommend YA books to and who not to; some people may toss them off as fluff, while other people may be more than willing to read them and see what the authors say and the worlds they build. I find that just asking in an RA interview if they are comfortable with those recommendations is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dustin! I really think you brought up an interesting point in your last paragraph for this week’s prompt. Do you think that the Classics are still relevant to today’s society and culture? How would we be able to get a renewed interest in the Classics for both teens and adults? I agree that libraries should invest in YA if there is a demand for it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be honest and say I am completely biased about the Classics and think of it of as an evolving genre, instead of a stagnant list. I think the "classics" have a tendency toward showing how people from across many times and places have a lot of the same faults and strengths that all people have so studying classic lit is almost a way to dive into psychology and social sciences. Freud, and many modern psychologists follow his lead, of using classic lit characters to describe how we all can feel. I think a big part of welcoming people to classic lit is twofold, both finding ways to show interested patrons that the books are still relevant, but also supporting a wider view of classic lit so its not a bunch of books from 'old, dead, white guys'.

      Delete
  4. What a well thought out and impassioned response. I definitely agree. I love your Twilight and Danielle Steele analogy. Full points!

    ReplyDelete