Thursday, February 8, 2018


Kirkus Review: T.H. White’s The Once and Future King


The lives and legends of King Arthur and his knights are brilliantly retold with a confident and modern narrative voice that simultaneously recounts the action and turmoil central to a work of fantasy while providing its reader an opportunity to join the heroes as they attempt to ideologically change their world.

Initially centering on the childhood of Arthur, the first portion of the novel is a bildungsroman that fosters the teacher/mentor relationship between the future king and Merlyn, the wizard whose blessing and curse is to live his life backwards through time. As Arthur grows in years, the novel expands to focusing on his wife, Guenever, and the Knights of the Round Table, importantly Lancelot. White approaches the love triangle between Aurthur, Guenever, and Lancelot with fresh eyes yielding feelings of lust, loneliness, and fate. Fate plays an ever important role throughout the story, as Merlyn tries to circumvent the dread future that lies in wait for Arthur and Camelot, yet White often reminds his reader that there will be no surprises in his retelling of one of the world’s most popular stories. What sets White apart from other authors who have attempted a modern ride through Arthurian legend is his ability to weave the time fictional time period together in a nearly tactile manner. White employs the works of Chaucer, Malory and many other authors in his narration that combine with subtle humor to give the impression that you are being told the story of Arthur by a kind old professor by the a fire in his study. White writes based on the assumption that you know Arthur’s story, so his retelling is filled with looks into the consciousness of these legendary characters as they make decisions that shape and ultimately destroy a nation. The best parts of The Once and Future King yield the reader the opportunity to consider the correct use of power, might, and authority within the juxtaposition of a time primarily remembered as violent as a way to mirror the modern world. Yet White never steps out of bounds within his work, allowing the story to express the answers to implied questions.

A modern classic for people in love with classics.

5 comments:

  1. Dustin,

    Very well-done review, you have absolutely caught my attention with this novel, even if I went in thinking that I wouldn't be interested. One thing that I think you did very well, was to convince me that this was not going to be just any old retelling of a story that I have heard a thousand times. If I am going to spend my time reading, I want to be stimulated and to be made to think about choices that the author has made that strays from the original story. This sounds like a novel that will give me just that. IF I read this review online when I am ordering for my library, your review would definitely have convinced me to add it to the library's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Andrea! This review would convince me to add this to my collection because, based on this review, I feel like it would potentially bring these stories to a whole new generation of reader. But what intrigued me most was your theory that the author is potentially using the violence of this time to compare to our current climate. How deeply alarming it would be to discover that, this time which we associate with brutal violence of almost mythical proportions, could ever be compared to what we are capable of now. It sound like the author made some brave choices and seized on a moment in time, if that's truly the case. But that's why this review is brilliant-now I have to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin,

    I appreciate how you explained so succinctly why this retelling of a well-known legend is a good inclusion within the world of Arthurian lore. I especially like how you describe the feel as though "you are being told the story of Arthur by a kind old professor by the a fire in his study". What a beautiful way to express the feeling which you believe the book evokes! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my absolute favorite books in the world, and I feel like your review did a great job of telling the story without giving away all the subtle, beautiful parts that make the book worth reading! Anyone who thinks they know Arthurian legend should include this book in their readings, and I think you make a good case for that! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review made me reconsider my opinion of this book. I haven't ever been able to get past the first page. I've always thought it was supposed to be comedy couched in farcical prose. Maybe I'll give it another try.
    My only complaint is that you didn't include any of the prose in your review in order to backup your thoughtful summations of the book's themes and tone ... but you did a much better job of keeping this review to the correct length than I did.

    ReplyDelete